Looking for a killer roast beef recipe you can make in the Instant Pot? You’ve come to the right place. Utilizing our popular How to Cook the Perfect Roast Beef in The Oven Recipe we came up with a succulent version you can make in the Instant Pot.
We have extremely high expectations when it comes to roast beef recipes. We weren’t sure if the end product would even warrant the use of the Instant Pot as most steaks, etc. are best when roasted in the oven or grilled. This Roast Beef Recipe defies what we thought possible….you can have a succulent, juicy roast beef utilizing the Instant Pot.
Come Thanksgiving and Christmas, this is the Roast Beef recipe we’ll be using. It keeps our oven free for our favorite side dishes like these Rosemary and Garlic Dinner Rolls.
What makes this meat tender is the low and slow cooking method. This is what breaks down the collagen and makes it succulent and juicy. Sure you can increase the pressure cooking time to speed up the overall cooking time, however the end results would drastically suffer. Just say no to tough meat.
And if you’re wondering….these white CorningWare Casserole dishes work beautifully inside the Instant Pot. It’s what I used for this recipe and most others.
Roast Beef Recipe TIPS:
We utilized Boneless Round Roasts for our testing, however Rump Roast should also work well.
Since this recipe uses the “warm” setting, it’s easy to pop the top off and stick a thermometer in the meat to gauge temperature (this is the one we love). Not cooked to your liking? Plug the top back on and continue to cook. Anticipate a 2.5 hour cook time to get a 3 lb roast to rare (130 degrees) and approx. 3.5 hours for well done (160 degrees).
Least we forget…..We have the PERFECT recipe for your left over roast beef: Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwiches.
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- 3 lbs. Boneless Round Roast (or Rump Roast)
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (Sliced)
- 2 tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Add the beef stock to the bottom of the Instant Pot followed by the metal insert that comes with the Instant Pot.
- Mix together the thyme, basil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Make small slits around the roast, about ½" deep. Insert a piece of sliced garlic into each slit.
- Cover the roast with olive oil until well coasted and sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the top. Using your hands, rub the seasoning mixture in until the roast is evenly coated.
- Place the roast beef in an Instant Pot friendly dish and set inside the Instant Pot. The roast should not be touching the beef stock mix.
- Place the top on the Instant Pot and set it to "High Pressure" for 3 minutes.
- After pressure cooking for 3 minutes, manually switch the setting to "warm".
- After 2.5 hours check the temperature of the meat with a meat thermometer. Continue to cook on "warm" until your desired temperature (2.5 for rare and up to 3.5 for well done).
- Once it's to your desired temperature, remove from the Instant Pot and transfer to a cutting board.
- Slice against the grain and enjoy immediately.
More Holiday Recipes:
NEVER MISS A FOODIE AND WINE RECIPE OR DRINK REVIEW: