Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shots are a harmonious blend of vanilla vodka, pineapple juice, and grenadine syrup. It’s a shot version of our Pineapple Martini.
Designed to taste just like the cake version, Pineapple upside down shot requires only 3 ingredients and is garnished with maraschino cherries (just like Fireball Jello Shots!)
Table of Contents
Pineapple Upside Down Shot
As mentioned, only a few simple ingredients are required to make this pineapple shot.
Vodka – The go-to flavor is vanilla vodka, but regular vodka, whipped cream vodka or even birthday cake-flavored vodka would work.
Pineapple Juice – Fresh or canned pineapple juice works well. Grab a filtered juice for a smoother texture.
Grenadine Syrup – Just a splash of grenadine will provide the flavor and color we’re going for.
Garnish – While not required, we love topping the pineapple cake shots with a maraschino cherry.
To get the beautiful layered look when making this pineapple upside down shot recipe, it’s all about the order in which you pour the liquids into the shot glass.
This sweet treat in liquid form tastes the same without the layering, but we like how pretty it is when properly layered.
To layer, pour the vanilla vodka in first, followed by the pineapple juice. These Halloween Jello Shots show off how pretty layered drinks are!
Add a splash of grenadine on the top. It will sink to the bottom of the glass rather quickly to get the red layer. Top with a cherry!
To ensure the pretty layers, pour the grenadine on a small teaspoon and gently add to the shot glass.
Best Vodka For Shots
Use what you have on hand to make pineapple shots, as long as it’s not a low shelf brand; those leave horrible aftertastes, and when you’re working with only 3 ingredients, you want to make sure your ingredients are legit!
Our favorite vodka brands, when making shot pineapple upside down cake: SKYY Vodka, Deep Eddy’s and Smirnoff.
- Chill the pineapple juice and vodka before making. If you don’t have time, throw in a cocktail shaker and shake away.
- If you’re not a vodka fan, or are out of it, you can use white amaretto or white rum, albeit the flavor won’t be the same.
- Tall shot glasses were made for this drink. They hold 2 oz. and beautifully showcase the layering.
- If you prefer a pineapple upside down cake martini, just double the recipe and pour into a martini glass.
- You can use Pineapple Agua Fresca in place of Pineapple Juice.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot
Here’s how to mix up a big batch of this pineapple upside down cake shot recipe:
Add the vodka and pineapple juice, in equal parts, to a large pitcher. When ready to serve, stir and pour into individual shots glasses. Top with grenadine and maraschino cherries.
Alcohol Content (ABV)
A pineapple upside down cake shot has 2 oz of vodka total. Most vodkas are 80 proof, so 40% ABV.
More Drink Recipes
Here are more vodka shots and cocktails to check out:
Pineapple upside down shots are perfect for birthday parties, wedding showers and girl’s night! Here’s how to make this pineapple upside down cake drink.
- 2 oz vodka ((*Note 1))
- 2 oz pineapple juice ((*Note 2))
- Optional Garnish: pinapple wedge or maraschino cherry
- Add the vanilla vodka to a shot glass.2 oz vodka
- Add the pineapple juice.2 oz pineapple juice
- Top with a splash of grenadine. To ensure the pretty layers, pour the grenadine on a small teaspoon and gently add to the shot glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry and shoot away.