This post is sponsored by Lobos 1707 Tequila & Mezcal. All opinions are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Foodie and Wine possible.
Foodie and Wine readers know I love Mexican grub. From carne asada recipes to margaritas to tequila shots, I love it all. Being born and raised in San Diego will do that to a girl. In my quest to deliver the best San Diego style Mexican recipes to you, I’ve tasked myself with finding the best quality tequila for the aforementioned tequila cocktails and shots. I know, life’s rough.
In addition to high quality tequila, I also love all things Target. All. Things. Target. The only thing that made Target better? Stocking one of my favorite tequila brands, Lobos 1707.
When shopping at Target to grab tequila to make tequila based cocktails, I tend to snatch up Blanco tequila due to the smooth quality and subtle flavor. Blanco tequila doesn’t overpower the intended flavor and enjoyment of the cocktail. Anyone who’s had cheap margaritas at a local chain restaurant knows the cheap and overpowering alcohol flavor you want to avoid. Not to mention the raging post headache you’re sure to encounter.
Enter Lobos 1707 Tequila and Mezcal. Legacy. Love. Lobos.
The Lobos 1707 Tequila Difference
Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila is Blanco (unaged Tequila) with a touch of Reposado (aged in a sherry cask), for a more nuanced and flavorful expression than a typical Blanco. It’s crafted by Spanish and Mexican distillers, blending their founder’s Spanish heritage and legacy in the sherry business with the traditional Mexican distillation process, hence the nuance of flavor not found in other tequila brands. Adding a nuance of flavor to a bold Mexican cocktail is a great thing. You get the flavor without the harsh alcohol aftertaste.
Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila is a great option when preparing a simple cocktail or even neat or on the rocks. Their signature serve is the spicy pineapple margarita, called the Coa’s Edge, made with pineapple, jalapeno, simple syrup, lime juice and Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila. I actually have this recipe slated to serve at my annual Cinco de Mayo party along with their Paloma.
Head over to their website to check out the full Coa’s Edge recipe and to check out simple cocktail recipes, using Lobos 1707 Tequila.
I love supporting brands with a rich history and/or one who recognizes and gives back to their community. Not only do they give back, but they support numerous organizations that support women, wildlife and those food insecure. You can read more about Lobos 1707 and their story on their website.
- Lobos 1707 Tequila & Mezcal was founded by Diego Osorio, whose family has a legacy of producing sherry for generations. Diego’s great-grandfather would bring the family’s sherry on trips to Mexico. When the sherry was depleted, they would refill the casks with agave spirit (what we now know as tequila) and it would sit in the sherry casks for the return trip. Upon consuming the aged tequila, he discovered it imparted an incredible flavor. Diego has brought this story to life with the creation of the brand, which launched in 2020.
- Since creating the brand, several notable figures have joined the team as shareholders, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, LeBron James, Maverick Carter, and others.
- Lobos 1707 has deeply rooted values and embraces diversity and inclusion. More than half of the team is female, with women serving in the CEO and CMO roles at the company.
- Lobos 1707 supports the World Central Kitchen through donations of one meal per bottle sold. The team regularly volunteers for various local charities near the headquarters in New York City’s lower east side.
- Lobos means wolves in Spanish and the brand was inspired by the pack mentality of wolves. Lobos 1707 donates to wolf sanctuaries such as the Wolf Conservation Center, in an effort to save these misunderstood creatures. They often use #WelcomeToThePack to highlight the inspiration of the wolf pack, and to drive our inclusivity.
Get Yo Bottle At Target
Great news for Target shoppers! Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila is now fully stocked at Target stores that sell liquor. While you’re picking up groceries, or better yet, party supplies, swing by the liquor aisle and grab a bottle of Lobos 1707. (Friendly tip – grab two if you and your friends love tequila cocktails and shots!) Anytime I can hit up just one store for all my grocery shopping it’s a good day. BTW….Anyone else suddenly singing ‘It Was a Good Day’ by Ice Cube in their head?
Don’t have a Target nearby or one that sells liquor? Find where to buy using the Lobos 1707 locator map.
Drink Ideas For Lobos 1707 Joven Tequila
Here are some menu ideas to get your creativity flowing for your next party. Why wait until Cinco de Mayo when you can have a killer bash tomorrow…well maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow may be Monday. On second thought, you may need a reason to celebrate!
- Highlight the smoothness by making a Mexican Mule
- Make a tropical Corona Sunrise
- Use it in your favorite Margarita recipe
- Amp up the flavor of your Michelada by throwing in a shot of Lobos 1707
7 Best Mixers
This tequila doesn’t need anything fancy. Just mix a shot or two in with a glass of your favorite mixer and call it a day. Here are some ideas to get yo juices flowing:
- Tequila & Soda
- Tequila & Bloody Mary Mix
- Tequila & Orange Juice
- Tequila & Grapefruit Juice or Soda
- Tequila & Pineapple Juice
- Tequila & Agave Syrup
- Tequila & Vermouth
Best Mexican Recipes To Serve With Tequila
Come Cinco de Mayo we offer up a ton of Mexican themed food recipes along with tequila based cocktails. Here are some menu ideas that would pair beautifully with Lobos 1707.
- Anything Carne Asada Related – Carne Asada, Carne Asada Tacos, Carne Asada Nachos, Carne Asada Fries
- Anything Birria Related – Birria, birria ramen and Birria tacos
- Chips and Salsa – make a batch of Air Fryer Tortilla Chips and serve with homemade salsa, pico de gallo and mango pico de gallo
- Chips and 4 Ingredient Guacamole
- Chips and Refried Bean Dip
- Steak Fajitas or Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail – you could even add a shot to the sauce!
- Flank Steak Tacos
And MOST IMPORTANTLY….. Protect your Pack. Drink Responsibly!